Now when Bappa is gone, and we all miss him a lot. Here’s a flashback to the Ganesha Utsav 2017.
- The onset of the Ganesh Utsav was as magnanimous as it always is. Maharashtra and other parts of the country welcomed the beloved Bappa with great pomp and joy. The markets were flooded with beautiful decorative material and mouth watering modaks and of course, the most splendid Ganesha idols. This year, many people showed tremendous interest in Eco-friendly idols and this gave this year’s festival a special touch.
- Mumbai rains 2017: On the 4th and 5th day of Ganesh Utsav, Mumbai recorded 468 mm of rainfall in twelve hours, the highest in a day in August since 1997. Transport systems came to a virtual standstill with local trains in Mumbai stationary and various flights cancelled with almost all delayed. On link road a building collapsed. But Bappa’s presence and faith in him kept the Spirit of a Mumbaikar alive and despite adversities; Mumbai was back on its feet the moment the rains retracted.
- Doklam standoff: Within just 3 days of Bappa’s arrival,India and China agreed on an “expeditious disengagement” of troops at a disputed border area in the Himalayas, where their soldiers have been locked in a standoff for more than two months. The issue at the Doklam Valley between the Indian and Chinese troops ended as China withdrew its troops from the site.
- Modi Cabinet reshuffle: When the lord of Wisdom, Ganesha is present himself, the government was ought to take wise decisions. The third cabinet reshuffle of the Narendra Modi govt saw nine members added to the Union Cabinet. With the reshuffle, Nirmala Sitharaman became the second Woman Defence Minister in India, the first being Indira Gandhi.
- Bidding adieu to the Bappa: The Ganesh Visarjan procession is the most awaited event by everybody. With great lights, high octane music, the live performance of the dhols and taals and the devotees bowed infromt of Bappa with faith in their heart and tears in their eyes and wishing for him to come back soon; it is everything that makes Visarjan spectacular sight. This year’s visarjan as grand as every year!
This year’s Ganesh Utsav was not for 10 days but 12 and yet it felt shorter. Having Bappa with us is never enough no matter for how long. All we wish is for Bappa to come soon next year. We miss you already Bappa! Pudhcya Varshi Lavkar yaa.